“Viseu No Porto”, “Viseu” in Porto is a traditional snack-bar/restaurant that has been open for 25 years now. Sr. Antonio Monteiro was a waiter here for 21 years before buying the place 4 years ago. Most of the ingredients are bought from “Mercado São Sebastião”, located close to the “Sé” cathedral as well as from the north-west countryside of Portugal.
There are two ways to eat at “Viseu No Porto”, the full lunch/dinner menu, which includes a main dish, drink, desert and coffee for €6; or by having snacks. The specialities in terms of main dishes include “Rojões à Moda do Minho” Pork chunks served with boiled blood, fried tripe potatoes and pickles. “Tripas a Moda do Porto” the traditional recurring tripe bean stew. “Lulas Grelhadas” Grilled Squid. “Bacalhau a Braga” Fried codfish served with round fried potatoes and paprika sauce. You can also have snacks, as I mentioned earlier. The specialities include:
- “Moelas” chicken gizzards in a tomato sauce.
- “sandes de presunto e Queijo da Serra” Portuguese Parma ham sandwich with creamy goats cheese.
- “Bolinhos de bacalhau” cod fishcakes
- “Rojões” Pork chunks served with pickles
- “Bifanas” slow cooked pork meat sandwich
- “Figado de Cebolada” fried liver and onions
- “Salada de Polvo” octopus salad served with onions, parsley and olive oil
Prices from 0.70 – 2.50 for the snacks.
Sr. Antonio Monteiro the current owner was tempted to redesign the whole concept of the restaurant when he bought the place 4 years ago. But he withstood the temptation, as well as some friends who tried to convince him. He kept the name and the menu which includes only dishes true to the identity of Porto. If you are close to Sao Bento Station make sure that you pass by and try as many dishes as Sr. Antonio has to offer.
Address: Rua da Madeira, 212-218, Porto, Portugal
Opening Times: 7:00 am – 21:00pm Monday-Saturday